Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chapter 2

“I told you that I’d send pictures of anything I saw,” I said to Harmony over the phone. She was on a weekend trip with a guy she’d met the month before and I was furniture shopping with her father’s credit card. I’d never understand rich people.

“I’m just making sure,” she replied.

“I’m there so I’ll call you later.”

I hung up the phone and walked into the store and began to make my way around. I blew off a salesperson, but was given a handful of cards I could place on anything I wanted. Each piece was unique and I knew they didn’t have mass stock in a back room. It didn’t take long to find a red couch that I knew Harmony would love that would also fit perfectly into our living room. I immediately put a card on it despite the fact that I didn’t have her approval.

I took a picture and continued on throughout the store. I took some more pictures of a few tables and chairs. I sent all the pictures to Harmony and waited for a reply from her to see what she thought. As I waited for her call I saw a few of the store employees pick up the red couch and start to carry it into the back.

“Hey, what are you doing?” I called to them.

“We just sold it,” one of the men said as they continued by me.

“What do you mean you sold it? Are there more in storage?” I asked.

“That’s not how we do things,” the other grumbled, obviously struggling with his end.

“Oh, I see. You just sell things out from under people who already had cards on them,” I spat at them angrily. They put the couch down and turned to look at me.

“Look, lady, it’s been bought. If you don’t like it, talk to the manager,” the first one growled at me. I glared right back at him.

“I suggest you go get that manager then,” I demanded.

“Is there a problem?” a third voice cut in.

I had my back to the person speaking, but I’d know that voice anywhere. My whole body froze in shock. This wasn’t happening. This couldn’t be happening. The shock turned into nervousness at seeing him again. The nervousness turned into fear. The fear turned into anger. Who the hell did he think he was? I spun around on him.

“Yeah, the problem is that you’re taking the couch I already claimed,” I told him angrily. His face showed no sign of recognition, no hint that maybe we knew each other. I should have known I’d never be someone that would stick in his memory.

“I’m sorry, I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said calmly. I shot daggers at him with my eyes.

“Oh, I guess the fact that this was sitting on the couch mere minutes ago means nothing to you,” I yelled walking over to pick up the card that was now lying on the floor and waving it in his face.

“What’s that?” he asked, like he didn’t know. The fact that he had no idea who I was when I was all too aware of who he was angered me even more.

“You’re unbelievable! I guess just because you’re Sidney Crosby you think you can just come in and take whatever you want, everyone else be damned. It doesn’t matter that I was going to purchase that simply because it struck your fancy and you decided you had to have it. You’re one selfish asshole, aren’t you?”

I stormed past, throwing the card at him on my way by. I knew at least part of my anger came from high school, but I didn’t care. I wasn’t going to let him treat me like nothing again and get away with it. My heart was pounding as I reached the door.

“Bryce?” I heard him call from behind me. I froze once again. He remembered me? “Bryce Sirota?” I slowly turned back towards him. I was still angry, but also a little embarrassed. Yelling at him only seemed okay when I was some random stranger he’d forget about by tomorrow.

“Hi,” I said meekly. I suddenly felt myself transforming back into the girl from high school.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, making his way to the spot I was frozen to.

“I live here,” I managed to choke out, my voice sounding nothing like it usually did.

“Really? How long?” he asked. Had he forgotten that I’d yelled at him just seconds ago? Had he forgotten that we weren’t friends? Before I had a chance to answer, my phone rang. I let out a sigh of relief when I saw Harmony’s name pop up on the screen.

“I have to go,” I said lamely. I turned and walked outside the store and began down the sidewalk.

“That couch needs to come home with you,” Harmony said before I had a chance to say hello.

“He’s here,” I told her.

“Who’s there?” she asked. I didn’t respond. I couldn’t think of anything to say. “Shut up. Did he see you?” I was interrupted before I could tell her what happened.

“Bryce, hold on!” Sidney called over to me. I turned back to see him jogging out of the store and over to me.

“Is that him?!” Harmony shrieked through the receiver.

“I’m sorry, I have to take this call,” I said to Sidney.

“Bryce Jillian Sirota, you talk to him this minute!” Harmony demanded.

“Well, do you want to go grab some coffee or something after you hang up? Maybe we should talk,” Sidney suggested.

“Tell him yes, Bryce,” I heard Harmony say.

“I’m sorry, I don’t think so. I’m busy,” I said, turning him down.

“What the hell is wrong with you?!” Harmony yelled. Sidney looked at my phone and I realized he must have heard Harmony. I gave him a small smile and turned to walk away before this got any worse.

“I’m sorry about the couch! I didn’t know you wanted it!” Sidney called to my back. I felt my blood start to boil again. Was he really still sticking to that story?

“What couch?” Harmony questioned.

“Are you an idiot or do you just assume I am?” I shot at him as I spun back in his direction. He looked surprised at my outburst and it took him a moment to respond.

“I’m not sure what you’re implying,” he said.

“I’m implying that you knew someone else wanted that couch, but you decided you wanted it more. Because of who you are, you know that people in this city are going to bend over backwards for you so you just do what you want. You didn’t care that someone wanted that couch and now because you got called out, you’re trying one last lame attempt to try not to look like an asshole.”

“Oh, Bryce,” I heard Harmony moan.

“Okay, I get it,” Sidney said in defeat. I smiled in satisfaction at my victory. He turned and began to walk away. Then he paused and turned back. “I saw the couch the other day, but wanted to think about it before I bought it. When I walked in today I simply asked if they still had it available. They told me they’d pack it up immediately. I never walked over to it and I never saw that someone had a card on it, and I wasn’t told. If I had known, I never would have bought it. I’m sorry.” My smile faded as I watched him continue the walk back to the store and through the front door.

“Way to go,” Harmony commented. I suddenly felt like shit. I knew I needed to talk to Sidney and I knew I didn’t need an audience. I hung up the phone without a word and walked back in the door.

“I just don’t like having special treatment like that. Please cancel the transaction. She wanted the couch and had a claim on it. It’s not fair for you to sell it out from under her. What kind of business does that?” I heard Sidney saying angrily to one of the salespeople. Now I felt even worse. Apparently he wasn’t an asshole at all.

“You don’t have to do that. If you want it, take it,” I said. He turned and looked back at me in surprise.

“No, it’s not right. I’m really sorry that this happened,” Sidney said.

“I should really be the one apologizing. I shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions,” I apologized.

“Please, take the couch,” he pleaded. I shook my head.

“No, thanks. I don’t want to do business with a company that would treat customers the way I was treated,” I explained pointedly, shooting a glare to the very embarrassed salesperson.

“Neither do I,” Sidney agreed. He walked to the door and held it open for me. I smiled and walked through. “So, how about that coffee?” My smile grew and I nodded. Maybe it was time to let go of that anger after all.










Okay, I know that there will be mixed feelings over another Sidney Crosby story. Sorry to those it will disappoint, but there were 5 options to vote on, all with different leading men, and this was the one chosen. Please don't hate me.....I'm consider starting the one that came in second in the voting soon anyway, and that's definitely not Sidney. I just need to make sure I feel I have time to write 4 different stories at once. If I decide to do it, I'll let you know!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, great introduction. I was one of the people who only read Sid stories so thanks! She needs to play hard to get for sure. Can't wait for chapter 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy for another Sidney story!!! Great start so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. The anger and indignation really came through in this chapter.

    Oh, and I'm glad it's Sid. I think he fits perfectly in this story.

    Please post more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was little disappointed that the lead was Sidney... not a fan, but I'm curious to see where this goes. I really hope she gets her revenge. ;)
    please updat Feels Like Home! ASAP! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy that its sid!

    great chapter and cant wait for more!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can tell that this will be a favorite read of mine..I'm intrigued! I luv your writing please keep up the great posts! PS- I LUV SIDNEY CROSBY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally dig this story and any othe rSid story you want to throw our way. You are a talented writer. I hope you update this oneagain, soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AAAAHHHHHHHH!! I love it!! Please update soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PLEASE UPDATE THIS STORY SOON! And Feels Like Home too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO! I love this already! Shes got fire! This is going to be a spicy Sidney Crosby story YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete